The latest issue of BizBash magazine highlights a few thoughtful examples of how with a few changes, you can save money without sacrificing style when printing event invitations. With the advent of modest budgets and an increasing sensitivity among event attendees regarding the dollars being spent on galas – rather than on charitable mission – these are easy to implement steps that make a big difference. Ideas include:
- Simplify the images. Complex images with tricky effects can costs thousands in extra printing costs.
- Use photography instead of original art.
- Switch from expensive printing processes to more straightforward four-color printing.
- Stay away from non-standard invitation sizes and shapes; go simple to make it easy – and less expensive – for mailing.
- Use lighter weight paper, or tear-off cards or online rsvps instead of separate cards.
- Take advantage of digital printing; it can give you a bold look for often a lower cost.
The September/October 2009 issue of Advancing Philanthropy, the magazine of the Association of Fundraising Professionals, also features a number of articles on successfully managing special events in a recession.